Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Philippine Street Fashion: A Much Needed Upgrade

I don't wanna seem like a traitor to my nation, but I just have to rant. Why does the sense of style of the Filipinos have to be so bland? I'm not talking about the designers or the celebrities, because they're great. I'm talking about the citizens themselves. It's like everyone's in uniform. I just feel an overwhelming urge to smash something, when I see guys who call themselves gangztahs wearing baggy jeans and even baggier shirts/tents. On the other hand, the "upper-class" guys always seem to be wearing polo shirts, jeans, and Converse sneakers. The girls on the other hand are often dressed like bubblegum wrappers, and the "trendier" types are most likely clad in skinny jeans.

If someone does take the leap and decides to show their individuality, we all stare and whisper. I am so sick of that. I mean, the Koreans and the Japanese could do it--they're always dressed in really cool and unique clothes. Why can't Filipinos?


5 comments:

alexgirl said...

That sounds mega frustrating. I love wearing whatever I want, but I get totally self conscious when if i think i hear/see people whispering about it.
I love your comparison to Marissa Cooper after she moved into the trailer.
Good luck keeping your style unique!!!

siakohneh said...

i totally agree with you girl...most of us tend to copy from people and are too concerned with what other people will think...most of us hasnt learned to be "fashinably adventurous...here in mindanao i admire the maranaos for their fashion sense...they seem to get it more than the average pinoy. the only problem i have is that i dont have a camera right now so i can show you what i mean but i will do that soon...

Anonymous said...

haha.
ya ur right! =)
most of the Filipinos dress too ordinary or TOO simple ..

`

katie rhoda said...

Have you ever considered the possibility that Filipinos in general use "pambibiro" to enforce "hiya" thus making everyone look the same? There was a time when I wore leather boots during a really bad typhoon because I didn't want my feet to be in contact with Manila's flood water saturated with people's "dura" and dog poo and various other substances. Everybody on Taft Avenue was commenting "Si ate naka-bota" and snickering. If I'm the sort who is not "makapal ang mukha" I'll probably never wear boots again. I'll wear "tsinelas" like everyone else and thus come into contact with all the germs. Ugh!

caldevera said...

Just a thought, but i think the weather plays a major factor. When i travel to other countries, colder ones, it's easy for me to layer and wear the clothes i want. But here in the Philippines, i can't just wear anything i want, i have to wear something "presko". "Kathie Roda" also has a point. If i ever wear anything slightly unique, it gets picked-on and my self-esteems drops.